In recent years, the SciFi community has experienced something of a resurgence. With popular movie franchises, such as the new “Star Wars” trilogy and “Star Trek,” as well as a variety of exciting Science Fiction shows across the streaming platforms, there’s more SciFi entertainment to consume than ever before!
If you’re a fan of this resurgence, and you want to meet others who share your passion, then you might consider organizing your own SciFi convention. If you’re in the Baltimore area, New Psalmist Retreat, Meet & Connection Center is the perfect venue for you! To help get you started, here are a few tips for organizing your SciFi convention!
Assemble Your Team
No matter how dedicated you are to making your convention happen, you won’t be able to do it alone. The size of your event will dictate how large of a team you’ll need, but here are the general areas to consider:
- Planning and Preparation: These are your people who will help you brainstorm ideas, decide on venues, and reach out to vendors. They’re your dedicated brain trust.
- Admin and Logistics: This team will determine your budget and organize the registration process for your guests. They’ll also serve as your guest service team, ready to answer any questions your attendees may have.
- Marketing: These are the people dedicated to getting the word out about your event. They’re promotion specialists and will ensure you get a great turnout.
- Sponsors: Unless you’ve got a chunk of money for funding already, you’ll need sponsors. Sponsors are companies with an interest in your event theme who will often benefit from being involved in your convention.
- Volunteers: The value of volunteers cannot be understated. These are the people that love SciFi enough to be involved in the convention for free. They’ll help with setup, teardown, and other onsite activities.
Prepare Your Funding Plan
Get together with your admin team and determine your budget. Make sure to remember all the common costs of a convention. These include:
- Venue Cost
- Cost of Activities
- Paying Guest Speakers
- Paying Your Non-Volunteer Teams
Setting up a budget at the beginning of your plan will help everything else go smoothly. Don’t underestimate the value of your team when making a financial plan.
Decide the Date and Book Your Venue
Figure out how much time you’ll need to enact your plan and decide on a date that people will want to travel. Avoid major holidays and events in the middle of the week, for obvious reasons. Once you’ve decided on a rough date, now it’s time to start location searching.
When looking for your venue, make sure to try and slightly overestimate the number of guests you’ll have. It’s always better to have too much space and food than too little. Make sure to account for things like:
- A/V Services
- On-site Catering
- Parking and Valet
- Security Services
Now that you’ve found your venue, it’s time to move on to the fun stuff. Build your guest list, organize your speakers, and plan some activities. Before long, you’ll have built a SciFi convention you can be proud of.
If you’re in the market for a great venue for your next event, take a look at New Psalmist Retreat, Meet & Connection Center in Baltimore. We provide a plethora of amenities to make your convention memorable. Contact us today to request a proposal!